Friday 15 July 2016

Bookshelf

I'd like to say I have this super intelligent way of deciding which book to read next, but I have to put my hands up and confess that I pick them by the book covers. I know, I know, the saying even goes, don't choose a book by its cover but I can't help it! Mainly it's the stark white ones with some weird illustration or pattern that will be the ones I'm drawn to first, but then if there's anything remotely quirky or odd about it my eye will go there next. Which is kind of what happened with this one. 


I was looking at the Top 25 list of young adult books and as soon as I saw that cover I knew I would be adding it to my already groaning bedside table of books to read. 

Let me introduce you to 'Wonder' by R.J. Palacio. I actually finished reading it over a week ago now but I can't stop thinking about it. Still! And I've probably recommended it to at least five people in that time too. You all know by now that I'm no good at doing the whole what it's about thing, but there's a boy called August, he used to be home-schooled but he goes to school for the first time ever and it's all about his experiences, the people he meets, his family, his dog...and as you've probably guessed by the front cover, August doesn't really look like all the regular kids which adds to the whole middle school experience thing. 

What did I love about the book? I loved the characters soooo much, August obviously, but especially his sister Via and her boyfriend Justin. It was funny, tender, heartbreaking, and full of love - friendship love, family love, pet love, a whole load of everything if you will. It had cool little chapters so was absolutely ideal for dipping in and out of, and when I only had a few pages to go and had to go back to work - oh! As soon as I got home that day I dropped all my bags and plonked down on the sofa to finish it off. And with all honesty, since finishing, I have thought about it every single day, more so I think as one of my work buddies is reading it now so I keep seeing it in the staffroom.

It's been a while since I've had so much love for a book, not since 'A Man Called Ove' I think, which incidentally I also recommend to people all the time, and the same work buddy has just finished reading! 

Any recommendations for what I should read next? My self-imposed ban of bringing any more library books home is almost over as I only have three left on the pile. Hit me with some titles below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment