Friday 9 September 2016

Capsule the Claire way

I know I keep banging on about this whole nearly 4 years and no good job, but it has honestly been the cause of many a revelation to me. Just let me talk about it again today for a brief paragraph before the point of this post emerges. So you know the drill by now - very little disposable income meant really thinking about how I spent my money, which definitely led to a reduction in a lot of the stuff that had previously been a big part of my life. The stuff came in many shapes and sizes and a lot of it was clothes. Like a whole heap of clothes that were often not worn as there are only so many days to fill in a week. During that time I really didn't miss buying the new clothes that much, and whenever I did want to add to my wardrobe I would hit the charity shops and generally come back with a good little haul that cost only a small amount of money. At the time I called this phase skint, but I have recently come to realise that it was a form of re-education. I simply didn't, and don't any longer, need that much stuff. Which is a very long winded way of bringing me to my point. 

The point being that I am really inspired by the idea of a capsule wardrobe. There are many variations on the capsule and I am not choosing the absolute version where you can only have a certain number of clothes in your wardrobe at any one time. What I am taking is the idea of season by season having a collection of clothes, well thought out and considered, that can be easily mixed and matched, and represents the style of Claire. Which by the way has changed quite a lot over the past few years. A style evolution is probably a whole post on its own but recently I have discovered that unintentionally or not, I wear a kind of uniform for work and one for weekends. Which is why I am 100% certain that I can do the capsule thing. It'll definitely make getting ready for work on a morning so much easier when choice is restricted! 

I've not tied down the absolute essentials yet as it's very much in between seasons at the moment but I'm thinking along the lines of a couple of pairs of smart (and strutty!) trousers, lots of variety in the tops department, couple of pairs of leggings, bring out the opaque tights as the colder days set in, some funky ankle boots, and the rest will be decided upon as the days go by. Autumn is a really easy time to try this I reckon, before the jumpers set in and the scarves come out. If you're interested I'll be happy to give you a breakdown of the wardrobe choices - shout out in the comments. 

In the meantime, if you like the idea of this and want to give it a try, there's a couple of people I would really recommend checking out. First up is Anna who started her capsule about a year ago and was probably the front runner in getting me interested in the idea. Along the way I've also come across Alli and Kat who have some really interesting video content around capsules, responsible shopping, and do some excellent charity shop hauls! 

What do you reckon? Do you think I'll give in once I see my bank balance and just go wild in the aisles? I'll keep you posted...

1 comment:

  1. Aha! I understand now. I wasn't sure what you meant when you mentioned a capsule wardrobe before. (Will you think I'm a geek if I admit I was imagining a sci-fi type pod full of clothes?) Turns out I kind of do this too, unintentionally. My work outfits almost always involve jeans, t-shirt and converse. I thought I was just boring, but now I'm going to pretend it was a deliberate style choice all along! #wink

    ReplyDelete