Monday 2 November 2015

Return to Libraryland!

For those of you who have been following along for a while, don't worry, I haven't lost my mind. I'm not returning to the previous incarnation of Libraryland, but a whole new one. Yep, I've found me a permanent job! Unless you've been in the situation of being faced with no job I'm not sure you'll get how completely and utterly relieved I am to have this new opportunity in front of me. Regular income! Being paid at the same time each month! Pension schemes! Gahhh, all words I thought I would never be writing but oh man, it feels good to be able to think that they are a reality. Begone uncertainty, hello predictability. 

I have to admit I feel excited about going back to libraries. The truth is that I never really hated them in the first place. The reasons for getting out of the other library were many-fold and revolved a lot around them not letting me realise my potential - I was always applying for jobs, and got more and more downhearted as they went to external candidates who could embellish their skills in ways I never could when you're somewhere every day. Plus there was a whole host of other crappy stuff going on that I've long since written off but when you're in it? That is a hard thing to do relentlessly. 

The time away from that library has been an amazing time for me. I don't mean amazing in that every day was like unicorns dancing and endless rainbows (as you do) but amazing in how much I have grown. Going back to school, my first job out of school, the job I'm doing now - they have all provided me with a wealth of skills and experiences that I have both embraced and bashed my head against a wall at. Let's take presentations as an example. Prior to all of this the very thought of presentations filled me with utter terror, like proper breaking out in a cold sweat and shaky legs. For this job interview the letter said to prepare a presentation, which I did, and was all ready to deliver on the day of the interview. Except the letter was wrong and it was actually only a question. And they had nothing for me to show my presentation. Previously I would probably have had to leave the room as I would have had no idea how to proceed and would have been having a nervous breakdown, but I just took it all in my stride! I used the ideas I had prepared, could visualise all my bullet points, even told them about the pretty pictures I had included, and waved my arms about a lot. They told me afterwards that they were really impressed with how I handled that situation. I can't even. You have no idea what this means to me. 

Anyway, getting back to the story. Returning to Libraryland. This time it's public libraries, a whole new ball game for me. It's part time hours which allows me to continue with my current role in the other part, and I can't wait! 

I can't wait to work in a team again, instead of sitting alone at home gazing out of the window. I can't wait to get my work wardrobe back out again and introduce them to all my colour. So many happy things. 

Have you had any good news this week? 

No comments:

Post a Comment